Sunday, February 17, 2008

Productive day - Bicycle Shopping

These days, I couldn't sleep much with my sinus bothering me. It disturbed John too.
I decided to practise some hill work this morning.
Since John is not cycling, we decided to run together at Bukit Kiara. I covered 3 loops while John did 4. But the jam home from Kiara this morning was ridiculous and I assumed it will stay that way throughout the day (depending on which way you take). But since John has promised Loke Chan Chuen that we will be dropping by his house at Subang USJ, we went ahead with that plan. We made a mistake by taking the Federal Highway and later, took a detour to the LDP-Puchong Highway.
Loke being an expert in cycling has graciously offered to help and advise John to shop for his new toy. I've been shopping all my life but bicycle shopping is something completely fresh to me and sound interesting. I never realized that one can spend 2 or 3 hours (or even a whole day for some) shopping for just a bicycle. I spent less time purchasing my car than John selecting his bicycle! Well, it's a totally different experience altogether. If you want to build a bike and create one of your choice, you need to select the parts (which I find it thoroughly tedious especially if you haven't a clue about what is what). All the parts cost money and not cheap at all! But then, one is also given an option to choose base on one's own budget. Depending on what you prefer, a build-up bike can cost up to the range of RM30k. In M'sia, what I heard was that there's a demand of bicycles but limited suppliers.
We were rather fortunate to meet Kimberley Yap (our M'sian woman triathlete SEA Games Gold medalist) who happened to be there. She greeted John and I and offered us some advice and recommendations on the model, frame, wheels and so forth; which she felt befitting John's size. Now I know...we need to buy everything separately from the frame, the wheels, tyres, pedal, handle bar and so many other accessories!! No kidding. In the end, with Loke's expertise and sound advice, then coupled with Kimberley's recommendation, John has decided to settle for a Scott Pro CR1. And the damage is close to RM11K. We thanked Loke for imparting his knowledge with us and spending time to help John.



Time was running out (we need to rush home to get ready for John's company Annual Dinner and Awards Night). On the way home, John posed me a question, "how much would it cost us if you were to give birth to a baby today?" Actually I had no idea and was silly enough to quote him about 10k! He smiled and surprised me by saying, "Please consider and treat this bicycle our baby and the 11k your maternity fees! The baby's name is Scott!"
AAH,WHAT??? Men are certainly funny at times!!

No comments: