A woman died after living a long, dignified life. When she meets GOD, she asks Him something that has long bothered her. "If man is created in GOD'S image, and if men are created equal, why do people treat each other so badly?"
GOD replied that each person that enters our life has a unique lesson to teach us, and only through these lessons that we learn about life, people, relationships and GOD. This confuses this woman, so GOD begins to explain :
1. When someone lies to you, it teaches you that things are not always as they seem. The truth is often far beneath the surface. Look beyond the mask people wear if you want to know their heart. And remove your own mask to let people know yours.
2. When someone steals from you, it teaches you that nothing is forever. Always appreciate what you have, for you never know when you might lose it. And never take your friend and family for granted because today is the only guarantee you have.
3. When someone inflicts an injury upon you, it teaches you that human state is fragile. Protect and take care of your soul as best you can because it's the only thing you are sure to have forever.
4. When someone mocks you, it teaches you that no two people are alike. When you encounter people who are different from you, don't judge them by how they look or act. Instead base your opinion on the content of their heart.
5. When someone breaks your heart, it teaches you that loving someone does not always mean that the person will love you back. But don't turn your back on love because when you find the right person, the joy that person brings will make up for all the past hurts put together.
6. When someone holds a grudge against you, it teaches you that everyone makes mistakes. Forgive the offender without any pretence. Forgiving those who have hurt us is the most difficult yet the most courageous and noblest thing a man can do.
7. When a loved one is unfaithful to you, it teaches you that resisting temptation is man's greatest challenge. Be vigilant in your resistance against all temptation. By doing so, you will be rewarded with an enduring sense of satisfaction far greater than the temporary pleasures by which you were tempted.
8. When someone cheats you, it teaches you that greed is the root of all evil. Aspire to make your dreams come true no matter how hazy they may be. Do not feel guilty about your success, but never let an obsession with achieving your goals lead you to engage in malevolent activities.
9. When someone ridicules you, it teaches you that nobody is perfect. Accept people for their merits and be tolerant of their flaws. Do not ever reject someone for their imperfection over which you have no control.
GOD tells the woman that man's capacity to love is the greatest gift he has. At the root of all kindness is love, and each act of love teaches us a lesson. As the woman's curiosity deepens GOD once again explains :
"When someone loves us, it teaches us the love, kindness, charity, honesty, humility, forgiveness and acceptance can counteract all evil in the world.
For every good deed, there is one less evil deed. Man alone has the power to control the balance between good and evil, but because the lessons of love are not taught often enough, the power is often abused.
When we enter someone's life whether by choice or chance, what will our lesson be? Will we teach love or harsh reality?
Each one of us has power over the balance of love, use that power wisely."
The above sharing is taken from an old e-mail sent to me by my late sister on April 26, 2005.