Monday, June 29, 2009

This one's for you, Mom!


Everything about this marathon didn't seem quite right...from the launch, the collection of race kits, the mess during the race day until even after the marathon where runners need to queue for medals etc. Surprisingly, John and I weren't affected by any of these at all.

Running for mom
I guess my intention for this Marathon is right after all, and I ran with reverence in my heart (something which I just learned from my Silent retreat lately).
A few days before Race Day, I called Mom and told her that I'll be running in a competition. You see, 4 years ago Mom has mild Alzheimer and has became very aloof since. Therefore, I was moved when she wished me well and said, "Run well, ya. Be careful. Look at the road." I was so moved by her response...she spoke just like she was my mom before Alzheimers.
Then I realized that it was not really her problem, it was mine too. I had stopped telling her about all my running competitions for 4 years. I decided to dedicate this marathon to mom.

Race Day
We arrived at Dataran Merdeka as early as 3.45am and found Francis already there. Gradually we met up with all our friends who will run the Full Marathon distance and as usual, exchanged pleasantries. Aha, about 15 mins before the gun off, the heavens opened and sent down early showers.
We sought shelter at the nearby tent until we were advised to get ready at the start line. Fortunately, it didn't take long for those showers to reduce to drizzle and personally, I welcomed it.
As the marathon is for mom, I intend to remember all I have forgotten about her during the entire race and it was not difficult...

Remembering all that I have forgotten about Mom:
1KM - 3KM
I forgot that you breastfed me when I was an infant.
4KM - 6KM
I forgot the love you poured on me when I was young.
7KM - 9KM
I forgot that you taught me how to walk when I first took my baby steps.
10KM - 12KM
I forgot the sleepless nights you had when I had my asthma attacks.
13KM - 15KM
I forgot the worries that you carried when I sat for my exams.
16KM - 18KM
I forgot that you cooked for me.
19KM - 21KM
I forgot that you kept the best food for me.
22KM - 24KM
I forgot all the pretty clothes that you sewed for me.
25KM - 27KM
I forgot the nice feeling when you cleaned my ears.
28KM - 30KM
I forgot all the advise you gave me and took it for naggings instead.
31KM - 33KM
I forgot to look beyond your wrinkles and age spots - I helped put them there.
34KM - 36KM
I forgot that you care and you cried for me when I was down and lost.
37KM - 39KM
I forgot the freedom you gave me to run and live my own life.
40KM - 42KM
For all the things that I have forgotten that you've done for me - I wanna Thank You and I Love You!!

Finishing line
After 4hours 16mins of running and contemplating, I finally arrived at the finishing line. It was that moment that I could feel the exhaustion and thirst. As always, my husband John who finished earlier in 3hr 48mins was there - waiting for me. We hugged and kissed each other before strolling lazily to collect my medal and finisher T-Shirt.

Running a marathon is quite a feat. It isn't about beating anyone or winning the prize money. It's about dealing with the distance as best we can, where the competition is with ourselves. And anyone who doesn't give up is a winner.
Having believe in this, we decided to stay back until 12noon to support and cheer those who are still running on the road. Especially to some of my friends who ran their maiden marathon that day, they certainly deserve our applause and respect.

Official Result :
Net Time 4:15:28
Finish Time 4:16:14
Position 033 (008)

3 comments:

yipwt said...

hi wai mun,

beautifully written...and good timing as well :)

Try beating john ya...

cRAzYtoMatOmaN-D said...

Congrats Wai Mun!! U did it for mom, very sweet!

All the 42km of what you forgot reminded me of mine...sob...sob...

Anonymous said...

hi Wai Mun, inspiring words. My mum too has Alzheimer's and like you said, words that she uses spin you back to the pre-Alz days. Being normal for a moment.
Geraldine